December 9, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

It's Monday, What Are You Reading was started as a kidlit blogging meme by Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts, but sixth grade teacher, David Etkin, first showed me how to incorporate it into my classroom.

Over the last year, I've discovered that IMWAYR does a remarkable job of boosting the classroom community's enthusiasm about books. My students are reading more than ever, and more eagerly than ever.

Here's how it works:
1. Each Monday, we sit in a circle. Each person brings any books they finished during the previous week, plus what they are currently reading.

2. Each person, including the teacher, shares what they finished and are currently reading. They often give a brief review, share the premise, or make a recommendation. It's very organic and really just a conversation.

3. I keep track of each student's completed books and page numbers so that I can give immediate feedback, "Wow! 250 pages in one week - you must have really enjoyed that book" or "Only 70 pages this week? What's going on?"

4. Before moving to the next person, the student gets to MAKE A NOISE if (and only if) they finished a book. I use the Teacher Sounds app. Its silly, but also super fun.

Last Monday our 19 students and 1 teacher read 40 books. Here are some of our favorites:

All week long we look forward to It's Monday, What Are You Reading. It has raised both the level of enthusiasm and volume of reading in my classroom.
~ Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment